Can You Retake Your GCSE Math in College?

Most university courses require basic mathematical skills and English grammar to learn. Students who lack GCSE in English and Math, or two A-levels in grade E, would not qualify for a student loan in England, under the new plans. Each course provides students with a broad understanding of the topics and equips them with the skills they will need to earn GCSE equivalents. However, analysis by the University and College Application Service suggests that about 10% of college applicants do not have English and Math passes when they leave school.

If you find yourself in a situation where you need to retake your GCSE in Mathematics at university, your first step is to let your university know. You can also request to retake your exams independently. Colleges often specify the minimum qualifications they expect in mathematics and English from GCSE along with requirements for more advanced qualifications, such as A Levels. To earn your GCSE Grade C equivalent, you will need to successfully complete a Level 2 functional skills course. Functional skills are an excellent qualification for those looking to earn the equivalent of a GCSE C degree in English, mathematics or ICT, the three most common subjects required to enter university.

Students can do their math GCSE from Year 8 or Year 9, depending on how prepared they feel. In short, you can retake your Math GCSE while you're in college, but it wouldn't be part of the university curriculum. Many college courses require you to have earned at least a C in English, Math, and Science, so not getting proper grades can be problematic. If you want to learn more about how you can retake GCSE Math in college, there are several options available. You can contact your university directly and inquire about their policies on retaking GCSEs.

Alternatively, you can look into independent exam centers that offer GCSE Maths courses. Finally, you can look into taking a Level 2 functional skills course to earn your GCSE Grade C equivalent. Retaking your GCSE Math while in college is possible but it requires some effort on your part. You'll need to contact your university or an independent exam center to find out what options are available to you. Additionally, you may need to take a Level 2 functional skills course if you want to earn your GCSE Grade C equivalent.

Shahid Lakha
Shahid Lakha

Shahid Lakha is a seasoned educational consultant with a rich history in the independent education sector and EdTech. With a solid background in Physics, Shahid has cultivated a career that spans tutoring, consulting, and entrepreneurship. As an Educational Consultant at Spires Online Tutoring since October 2016, he has been instrumental in fostering educational excellence in the online tutoring space. Shahid is also the founder and director of Specialist Science Tutors, a tutoring agency based in West London, where he has successfully managed various facets of the business, including marketing, web design, and client relationships. His dedication to education is further evidenced by his role as a self-employed tutor, where he has been teaching Maths, Physics, and Engineering to students up to university level since September 2011. Shahid holds a Master of Science in Photon Science from the University of Manchester and a Bachelor of Science in Physics from the University of Bath.